The Nigerian government of President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the Ogoni clean-up of the Niger-Delta area is set to begin in two weeks.
This was revealed on Wednesday, 14th November 2018.
The government has also mobilized $180 million through the National Petroleum Corporation for Ogoni clean-up exercise.
A total of 21 contractors have been picked for the exercise and are expected to report to site by the end of the month.
The Minister of Environment, Ibrahim Jibrin said this after the Wednesday Federal Executive Council (FEC) Meeting which was presided over by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo.
While speaking to State House correspondents Jibrin said; “I can confidently tell you that before the end of this month, in the next two weeks, there will be 21 companies that will be mobilized to the site to start the work.
According to him, the firms were chosen from a rigorous bidding process that started with an entry by 400 companies bid for the job. It was later reduced to 138 after the technical evaluation and 21 were eventually picked; the minister said.
On how it will be funded, the Minister recalled that the government set-up the Ogoni Trust Fund primarily to mobilize funds for the Ogoni clean-up. He added that $180 million have been raised so far to begin the project this month.
He spoke further by saying; “Right from the NNPC, Shell Petroleum Development Company and the (J) Ventures; they have mobilized $180m. It is in the Escrow Account with the Standard Chartered Bank of London and the Board of Trustee is managing that.”
“So, as far as we are concerned, we can beat our chest and say that the President Muhammadu Buhari administration has shown the way forward on this (Ogoni) clean-up and we hope and pray that the people whom we are working for will have cause to laugh and smile very soon.”